ARM11 MPCore: Scalability and power/performance
Why do Multicore?
- Massive aggregate performance
- 2.0 Coremarks/MHz per core from ARM11 MPCore
- Predictable single-thread performance compared with MT cores
- High power efficiency (DMIPS/mW) & area efficiency
- Ideally suited to many compute intensive applications:
- Simple, well-understood ‘SMP’ or ‘AMP’ programming models with uniform 4 GB physical memory makes processor power accessible
Why ARM11 MPcore?
- ARM11 low dynamic power consumption
- Proportional to work done (no dynamic power when core in standby WFI)
- Lowest standby power (static power)
- OS can easily power off unused cores for very lowest leakage => Efficiency
- Derived from popular ARM11 microarchitecture
- Widely licensed and implemented
- ARM SMP well supported by OS vendors