The Cortex-A7 processor is a very energy efficient applications processor designed to enable low-cost, fully featured entry-level smart phones in addition to other low-power embedded and consumer applications.
The processor is fully compatible with other Cortex-A series processors and incorporates all features of the high-performance Cortex-A15 processor including virtualization support in hardware, Large Physical Address Extensions (LPAE), NEON advanced SIMD, and AMBA 4 ACE coherency.
The Cortex-A7 processor is widely used as a standalone applications processor in entry level smartphone applications. It is also used as a LITTLE processor in ARM big.LITTLE processing technology - which powers high end mobile platforms today.
The Cortex-A7 processor:
- Provides best power-efficiency and low footprint as a standalone applications processor
- Similar performance to mainstream smartphone in 2012 based on Cortex-A9
- Up to 20% more performance compared to Cortex-A5 at similar energy efficiency
- Used as energy efficient LITTLE CPU with high performance Cortex-A15 processor to enable ARM big.LITTLE Processing
- Software can run on an energy efficient Cortex-A7 processor and on a high performance Cortex-A15 processor as needed without recompilation
- AMBA 4 ACE coherency interface enables sub-20us context migration between big and LITTLE CPU clusters
The Cortex-A7 processor has been licensed by a large number of the industry's leading silicon manufacturers including: