Ultimate Reliability for Embedded Real-Time Processing
The Cortex-R series processors provide fast time-to-market through proven technology shipped in billions of products, and leverages the vast ARM ecosystem and global, local language, 24/7 support services to ensure rapid and low-risk development.
Cortex-R series processors deliver fast and deterministic processing and high performance, while meeting challenging real-time constraints in a range of situations. They combine these features in a performance, power and area optimized package, making them the trusted choice in reliable systems demanding high error-resistance.
Find out more...
Cortex-R Series Characteristics
Fundamental to the Cortex-R4, Cortex-R5 and Cortex-R7 processors are key features that are demanded by deeply embedded and real-time markets such as automotive safety or wireless baseband, where high-performance, real-time, safe and cost-effective processing is required.
High performance: Rapid execution of complex code and DSP functionality
High performance, high clock-frequency, deeply pipelined micro-architecture
Dual-core multi-processing (AMP/SMP) configurations
Hardware SIMD instructions for very high performance DSP and media functions
Real-time: Deterministic operation to ensure responsiveness and high throughput
- Fast, bounded and deterministic interrupt response
- Tightly Coupled Memories (TCM) local to the processor for fast-responding code/data
- Low-Latency Interrupt Mode (LLIM) to accelerate interrupt entry
Reliable: Detects errors and maintains system operation
- User and privileged software operating modes with Memory Protection Unit (MPU)
- ECC and parity error detection/correction for Level-1 memory system and buses
- Dual-Core Lock-Step (DCLS) redundant core configurations
Cost effective: Fast time-to-market and customizable features
- Best-in-class energy and die area/cost efficiency
- Configuration to include/exclude features to optimize power, performance and area
- Fast development and testing with configurable debug breakpoints and watchpoints through CoreSight™ debug access port with embedded trace module options
ARM Cortex-R series processors set the industry standard for a wide range of deeply embedded semiconductor application markets with a broad range of licensees throughout the worldwide semiconductor industry. There are over 80 Cortex-R series licensees, including: